Monday, May 6, 2013

5/5/13 Fuenterroble de Salvatierra ➡ San Pedro de Rozados 29.6km

5/5/13 Fuenterroble de Salvatierra ➡ San Pedro de Rozados 29.6km 

The day that never ended. 
OMG the first 10km were ok and quick. Pretty scenery good terrain, lots of cows to photograph.I stopped to eat my banana to get me up the hill and then it was utter torture for the next 6 and a half hours.
The climb up the hill was tolerable. 

We climbed the highest point on the Via de la Plata today, reaching the Cruz de Santiago.
I would say this cross will become what Cruz de Ferro is to the Camino Frances. I left my stone but I must say I left it at the first cross I came to and had my photo taken. We thought we were at the top of the hill. Little did we know we still had a way to climb. 
When I finally got to the top I decided to loose my pack and get closer to the cross. This involved going under the barbed wire fence. After speaking with the others no one else bothered  to do this. 
I tried to also take a self timer, but the result has me no where near the picture!!!!!

I walked the remainder of the day with Jan and Thea from Holland and it just never ended. At one stage Thea was ahead of me saying is there a town at the top of the hill, as we reached the top no town, maybe the next hill, no, the next hill ,no. This kept on for kilometre after kilometre. Finally there was a sign to the town 2 km to go. That had to be the longest 2 km of my life.

We arrived and the albergues were full. Cristy, speedy Gonzales, had organised accommodation for us in the private shelter and we are set. A massive grande cervazas and shower and I am one happy pilgrim.
Dinner here tonight and then it's on the road to Salamanca mañana. 
We will be well over the half way mark when we reach Salamanca 517.7 km walked.
















1 comment:

  1. What are you talking about? the barbed wire and the cross? where is the photos? These ones of the scenery, are great,finally those lovely mountains you mentioned! but do you need that many photos of cows?! LOL

    ReplyDelete