Saturday, May 11, 2013

10/5/13 Zamora ➡ Montamarta 18.8km

10/5/13 Zamora ➡ Montamarta 18.8km

Short jaunt today to give the pies a rest.
Excellent terrain, hard packed red dirt and gravel. 
Some mud but I will talk about that later.
The scenery today was great. The fields are so green and lush. By the road a mass of flowers bloom. Yellows, purples, reds, whites, it really is spectacular against the green and the brown of the tilled fields.
The expanse of land is amazing and my camera just can't catch the depth of it.

 Now for my mud story. The Spanish decided to build a bridge. To me it looks like it is in the middle of no where, but obviously they know what they are doing. The reason I am telling you all this is because they built it right on the path the Camino takes. They did not divert the Camino they just built across it.

So how does that affect the mere pilgrim? Well you need to either go around this but there is no guarantee that you can walk as there may be a fence blocking you by the local farmer, so we went under. Cristy was well in front so she rang me to warn me and also to give some advice, keep left once under the bridge as there is a large body of water and its really muddy.

Well just before this I stopped to take a photo of my muddy caked boots. As I was distracted I started to walk and felt that yes, I was keeping left. Well I tried to walk up this little incline and then thought better of it as it was really slippery. As I was changing direction my foot went quite close to he edge of the muddy pool. Well next hing I know the mud is sucking my boot into it and I almost took a mud bath. I had visions of myself walking into the town like the mud monster. I managed to pull my foot out of the mud with my boot still attached to my foot and then skirt around the edge. Hope you get a laugh out of the photo.

Arrived in Montmarta around 12.30, so nice easy day. The Albergue is basic but lean.
We had a menu del dia at the bar and then cooked macaronis for dinner which we shared with the French and Germans. So nice having the communal dinners.

We calculated the rest of the journey and we only have 17 more days of walking left. I cannot believe how quickly this is going.













2 comments:

  1. I suppose 18 k's in a day does seem like an easy walk! Keep the photo's coming Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that 1st pic. Actually its going quite quickly for me too. I have just read about the last five days.

    ReplyDelete