Monday, May 6, 2013

4/5/13 Calzada de Bejar ➡ Fuenterroble de Salvatierra 21km


4/5/13  Calzada de Bejar ➡ Fuenterroble de Salvatierra 21km 

Great Albergue  last night, not a bad sleep with 14 others on our side of the wall and 12 on the other. 
Quick breakfast this morning of sweet biscuits, coffee and Melba toast, then it was on the road for another day.
As per usual I bring up the rear, the others are so much faster than me. We walked out of town with a farmer and his 2 cows.
I actually like being last as I can take my time and smell the flowers.

The walk this morning was wonderful. The dew in the meadows, the cows grazing and of course my friend the cuckoo calling out his greeting.
The return of the snow capped mountains in the distance and the wide open spaces is just beautiful.

Stopped for a coffee in the first town and met up with the Dutch couple Jan and Thea who we last saw on the lake after the windy days.
I stopped to feed a horse and chatted to a donkey.
On towards the quarry and past Fred Flinstones house. It was a bolder in he shape of a house and I really thought I was in Bedrock with quarry in the distance.

I walked the whole day on my own which was nice as the day before I did not have any solitude as I walked with another pilgrim who likes to talk. I met Jacques just before the town and we walked in together. We are competing for best photograph.

The Albergue is amazing, donativo, but so well run. 
Our friends have walked on ahead of us and did a huge 49 km today! Crazy I say, just too big a day, I'm sure my feet would protest and that would be the end.

Another amazing lunch and dinner, which was a stew, was donated by the local people so we all pitched in the wine and had a great time.
After dinner we all walked down to the church and had a pilgrims mass. It was the most moving experience and at the end one of the pilgrims sang. Lets just say many tears were shed. 
It was a truly amazing day. 















No comments:

Post a Comment