Monday, April 8, 2013

Woohoo free WiFi !!!

Well hello from a slightly weary but very happy Pilgrim.
I am currently sitting in Zubiri at the Albergue using the free Wifi, what could be better.
So much to tell you all and I am not sure where to begin.
I will attempt the edited version with as much info as possible !
It's bloody fantastic ....... End !
Just kidding,.......

5/4/2013 & 6/4/13
After spending a lovely day walking around St Jean Pied de Port, I went back to the Albergue.
Dinner there was amazing as was the whole atmosphere and spirit of place.
It was the most wonderful way to begin a Camino.
I met Neil from Canada and we will be walking together for a time.
If your into numerology this is a bit spooky.
We are leaving SJPDP on the 6/4/13. I was born in 64, Neil was born in 46, numbers woohoo.
64 & 46 leaving SJPDP
At E'spirit du ChemiN you cannot get up before 7, so it was nice for a little sleep in before the climb.
Oh before I forget, route Napoleon had been closed due to 5 metres of snow, thank god because I now know I would have struggled big time.
Route Valcarlos was tough enough. But more about that later.
If you read the guide books and the forum they poohoo Valcarlos but really it has its own splender.
Sure Napoleon has the wide sweeping views, but the snow would make it incredibly tough.
My next Camino, in the summer months, bucket list !
Neil and I had a pretty good walking day and got to Vacarlos around 1pm. There was much fluffing around as I had bought a poncho the day before, because as I have failed to mention yet its been raining a lot !
Anyway I attempted to put the large poncho on with no success as it was too small and I needed to exchange for a super massive size to fit over everything.
As I mentioned before we arrived and of course we went straight to the bar for a Martini, a yummy aperitif before lunch.
Woollie getting in on the action


The Albergue here was great very clean and tidy. Our bunk mates were from Germany and England.
They were a great bunch of people and we have walked with them to Zubiri.

7/4/13 & 8/4/13
Well we talked Valcarlos today, OMG !!!
Snow !!!! Eeekkkkk
It was absolutely beautiful but tough. The ground was really slippery and it was along way up. Not too cold as I was exerting so much energy putting one foot in front of the other that I was too distracted to be cold.
Neil and I made it safely to Roncesvalles and we both had such a huge sense of achievement. It's is Neil's first Camino so he thinks he is getting tips of me !! Haha we have had fun and he was such a gentleman waiting for me to make sure I was ok.


.

1 comment:

  1. Go Jo! Tough going and glad you and the bear are getting to enjoy that cocktail at the end of the day!! Sal

    ReplyDelete