Saturday, April 27, 2013

27/4/13 Aldea del Cano ➡ Caceres 23km

27/4/13 Aldea del Cano ➡ Caceres 23km

The alarm was not a welcome sound this morning.
We were on the road by 7am and it had rained last night, thank goodness. 
We heard the thunder, but with ear plugs in, not the rain.

The terrain today was good. Towards the end a bit steep and rocky.
We actually had to walk straight across an airfield this morning, so I took a photo right in the middle of it. The warning about  danger was on the opposite side, so too bad if a plan was coming into land !

What got us today was the wind. It had a bit of a bite to it and it just didn't stop blowing. Unfortunately for us it was coming straight for us and you had to struggle all day against it. 

I was so slow, the others had taken off and I am trudging my way up hill against the wind.
At one stage I was just laughing as it was relentless. I am sure the people driving by in their cars wondered what asylum I had been let out of !! 
I remember saying out loud, " enough already" I know I asked for a breeze the other stinking hot day, but really, this was enough to knock over a less robust, well built pilgrim.

We have arrived in Caceres and we are not staying at the Albergue, thank goodness, as it is  right at the beginning of the new town. We are staying just outside the old town so not as far to walk and also on the route out of town tomorrow. 

Now for the old town. It is amazing. It is a Unesco world heritage site and it is a amazing! 
I will let the photos speak for themselves. But it is worth a look on the Internet as well.
We have a pretty big distance to cover tomorrow so hopefully the wind will be behind us pushing us along instead of pushing us back.




On the airfield 













1 comment:

  1. May the road rise up to meet you,
    May the wind be always at your back,
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    And the rains fall soft upon your fields,

    ReplyDelete