Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The story so far.




St Jean Pied de Port 6/4/13 ➡ Pamplona 10/4/13
Well I am officially no longer a pilgrim.
Sitting here in Hotel Yoldi in Pamplona, after a fantastic hot shower and all my pilgrim clothes sent to the laundry, I can finally write about some of my adventures.
The last 4 days have been amazing.
I was lucky enough to have been blessed with the company of the following people:
Neil, Mark, Geoff, John, Richard, Davin, Myra, Joannie, Micheal, and a whole bunch of others, Steffanie, Phillip and Norman to name a few.
We have had the best time laughing, joking, eating, trying to sleep between the snoring and last night the farting !

A quick recap of the miles travelled:
6/4/13 SJPDP ➡ Valcarlos
Lovely short walk up the hill, where Neil and I stopped for the night. We found the local pub and I introduced Neil to Martini, a few of those later and we went back to the Albergue and met the very imposing Brit Brigade.
We did some laundry and then it was off back to the pub for the pilgrims menu. Good food - soup, main, dessert and a vino tinto.
Back to the Albergue to find that something had happened to the Brit Brigade, they had thawed out & were playing cards, laughing and being quite raucous, much have been the Spanish chorizo they had for dinner, I saw a glimpse into what would be an hilarious next couple of days.
St Jean Pied de Port

7/4/13 Valcarlos ➡ Roncesvalles 
Wow what a day. 
We climbed and we climbed and we climbed. 
Up we went through the snow, it was absolutely beautiful, and I was thanking the heavens that there had been snow or else I would have been on Napoleon absolutely dying. For those  that think the only way is Napoleon, Valcarlos gives a bang for its buck. It is also very beautiful.
Neil and I made it to the top and we were both filled with such a sense of achievement.
A quick trot down the hill found us at the new monastery Albergue. 
We quickly settled in and went for a sneaky drink before the pilgrims mass.
Even though it is in Spanish it is very uplifting and so welcoming to a weary pilgrim.
Very basic pilgrims dinner that we shared with Patrice and Stanislav from France, then it was off to bed as we had a big 20 clicks to tackle mañana.

8/4/13 Roncesvalles ➡ Zubiri
Well I felt today was harder that yesterday, but in saying that I think everyday is harder than the previous.
As per usual, I die on the hills and I was last in the door so to speak.
What a lovely surprise it was though to appear round a corner and be given a massive cheer by my fellow pilgrims, who were just finishing up their lunches and warming the seat for my non to delicate derrière! 
Had a very tasty boccadillo   with  jamon and queso, the stray cats around me enjoyed the jamon just as much as me. ( missing my big beautiful boy Cosmo , so fed these cats instead)
Back on the road where I met lots of pilgrims from all over the place. A few kangaroos were given out, they should find homes in Belgium, Spain, France to name a few.
Made it into Zubiri and the first Albergue that I came to had my name written all over it.
My new bunk mates for the night were , Myra, Joannie and Micheal.
I went out to find Neil and we bumped into each other in the street. Guess where we went !
Of course the bar, and who should be there but the Brit Brigade in fine form, boy I tell you what a little Spanish air and those boys really let their hair down ! 
Pilgrims menu and then bed.
Dr John, Richard, Mark &Woollie, Davin, Geoff
Carmaker snow

9/4/13 Zubiri ➡ Pamplona
Myra, Joannie, Micheal and I left Zubiri early and we would meet up in Larosoana for breakfast. Beautiful in sections but through a big industrial site.
Breakfast was had with the Italians and then it was back on the road to Pamplona.
Tough day today, the terrain is quite difficult as the ground is muddy and slippery.
I managed to jar my back quite significantly as I took a big slip and the rest of the day I wanted to throw my pack over the edge. Lots of stops and much stretching later I arrived on the outskirts of Pamplona to only meet up with my posse. We walked into Pamplona together and had our photos taken.
We arrived at the Albergue Jesus & Maria and yeah boiling hot showers.
As this was my last night on the Camino Frances we had a big party.
OMG  Pintos (the word tapas  is used in Madrid) and Sangria. 
Never a truer match made in heaven, oh yum! 
We had the best time, so much laughter my back almost went into spasm.
We then went to a local bar and more beers before our 11pm curfew.
My last night was rounded out with lots of snoring and farting, but you know I wouldn't change it for quids!



10/4/13 Pamplona
Have booked into Hotel Yoldi for the night and am due to catch the train to Madrid tomorrow to meet Cristy to start our adventure.
Adios for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment