Saturday, March 23, 2013

The count down begins

Well I had every intention of writing much more frequently than I have but time has gotten away from me and I fly out in 9 days time.
I have 4 more days of work left and this takes me up to Easter.
All my preparations are done !!

Money:
Money all bought and safely stowed, can only hope Ive calculated well enough.
Ive gone with 50 Euro / day, I think back in 2008 when I attempted the Camino Frances I had allocated approx. 30Euro / day, but with my trips to Hospital, Taxis and private accommodation I well and truly blew that little budget.
Hopefully through my adventures I will keep you all up to date with the costs.

Equipment:
I have had a lovely time over the last couple of months buying lots of stuff for this trip. I cannot believe how lightweight some of my clothes are. My rain jacket is as light as a feather, as are my Exofficio shirts. I was ecstatic the other week when I packed everything and it all weighed 8kg. Plenty of room for that heavy water bladder.
I really have to stay away from the hiking stores as I just keep wanting,wanting,wanting. I was  so tempted to buy new hiking poles the other day but decided that was being a little over indulgent as there is really nothing wrong with the poles I have. They helped me on my last Camino so I think they will bring me luck this time and keep me away from the hospital.
Cosmo checking out the gear.


Boots:
I started my Trek Training last year in a pair of Columbia boots which were fantastic and so very comfortable but towards the end of last year I started to get a little worried as my feet were swelling with the heat and I still wasn't double socking at this stage. On my last Camino I ended up with horrendous blisters because of this and really didn't want a repeat performance.
I started looking and found to my delight the wonderful Keen's boot. They are so roomy and very comfortable.
With the injinji toes sock liners and the Bridgedale wool sock Ive hit a winning combination.
My Keen's Boot, Pink nail polish and Teva's
I was re-reading my diary from my last Camino and I had written a list entitled Notes to self.
One of the notes to self was Bright Pink Nail polish lasts the whole Camino on any existing toenails.
I will be doing a big paint up the night before I leave. There is nothing better than taking your boots off at the end of a long walking day and be greeted by wonderful bright toenails.

What's going in the pack:
1 Rain jacket
1 Rain pants
2 thermal tops
1 thermal pants
1 pair skins
1 pair zip off pants
2 long sleeve shirts
2 pairs nickers + 2 bras
3 pairs socks+ 3 pairs liner socks
1 buff
1 pair gloves
1 wide brim hat
very small amount of toiletries
I am still wrestling with my camera and which one to take, stay posted for that one.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I am getting excited and nervous at the same time, I just now really want to start walking. The weather remains an issue at the moment and Im not really sure if i will be able to walk the Pyrenees, but it is nearly 2 full weeks away so I am really hoping the snow will stop, the weather will be clear and the roads will be safe. It was very sad today to read on the forum that a pilgrim had died on the decent into Roncesvalles. The information is not clear as to what happened to him, but may he RIP.






No comments:

Post a Comment